I am always asked for this recipe and truth be told it took me a while to write this recipe down as I “wing it” in the kitchen. If I have some leftover mushrooms or peppers I add them to the dish. This is a great way to hide vegetables if your kids do not want to eat their vegetables. Grilling the aubergine brings a smokey taste to the dish which is needed to cut through the rich white sauce.
This recipe started when I started cutting out carbohydrates from my diet. I love moussaka and lasagna so I combined the two together when the BEST white sauce (which is actually green!). It is my go-to comfort meal and I love making large amounts of it when aubergine is in season. (This dish freezes really well!). The green sauce packs a punch as it has a lot of spinach in it. Spinach is high in niacin and zinc, as well as protein, fibre, vitamins A, C, E and K, thiamin, vitamin B6, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, and manganese. The mince has carrots and celery in it adding to our vegetable content.
Prep Time: 40 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
AUBERGINE LASAGNA SHEETS
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 Onion finely diced
1 Carrot – peeled and grated
2 Sticks of celery finely diced
2 Cloves of garlic
2 teaspoons Chicken Spice
2 Tins of chopped tomato
Salt & Pepper
2 Large bunches of baby spinach
2 Rounds of Feta
Salt & Pepper
Parmesan cheese grated.
- Cut the aubergine into long thin slices 0.5cm wide.
- Put all the aubergine into a colander and sprinkle with salt. Leave for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with water and pat dry with a towel.
- Brush the aubergine with olive oil.
- Griddle the aubergine until they are marked on each side. Do not overcook them as they will become mushy.
- Saute the onion and celery in the olive oil until it is soft.
- Add the mince and fry until brown.
- Add the garlic and carrot and cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in the chicken spice and stir well.
- Add the tomato and lower the heat until a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes to allow some of the water to evaporate off the mixture.
- Add all the ingredients into a blender and blend. The blender will “whip” the cream making it thick so do not overdo it as you will have butter.
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Start with a layer of mince and then layer the aubergine on top of the mince.
- Spread the white sauce over the aubergine and then add mince.
- Repeat the process finishing with white sauce on the top.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese on the top.
- Cook for 20 minutes until golden brown.
This recipe freezes really well once cooked. Make sure you cover it to prevent freezer burn. You can add the parmesan cheese before cooking.