I love how life works and how people come into your life and have such a profound influence on you. My reiki therapist in Johannesburg was one of these wonderful people (I miss seeing her dearly – Tash move to Cape Town ;-)) Tash told me how she makes chickpea flour roasted aubergine often. I had never even thought of making something like but I dashed home and made it that day and it was/is amazing. The course chick pea flour provides a wonderful crunchy texture on the outside of the soft aubergine centre. I used my cast iron roasting dish which held the heat beautifully when heating the oil to ensure that the result was crispy.
Chick Pea Roasted Aubergine
Makes: 8 Servings
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 - 40 Minutes
1 – 2 Aubergines
2 Cups of Dried Chickpeas
5 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme
1/2 Cup of Olive Oil
Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Place the baking dish in the oven with the oil to heat up.
- Cube the aubergine and sprinkle with lots of salt and place in a colander for 15 minutes. (The salt draws the bitterness out of the aubergine)
- While the aubergine is being salted – place the dried chickpeas in a high-speed blender and blend until a flour-like consistency result.
- Place the chickpea flour in a bowl with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper and chopped thyme leaves.
- Rinse the aubergine and dry in a clean tea towel.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl.
- Add the aubergine to the egg and then remove from the egg and to the chickpea flour. Repeat this with all the pieces of aubergine
- Carefully remove the baking dish from the oven and put the coated aubergine in the oil (be careful for oil splash)
- Place back in the oven and cook until golden brown
Make sure that the aubergine is as dry as you can get it before egging and coating it. If it still wet the result will be mushy aubergine instead of crispy outside and juicy inside.