Sometimes inspiration strikes when using a staple ingredient and presenting it in a different way. This floral butter is a great way to present butter on your table to use on warm toasted ciabatta or lather a baked potato or spread it on crispy crackers. Use whatever inspires you sprinkled on your butter – if you love a bite of spice to your food, add some dried chili flakes onto the butter to add some bite to the creamy ingredient. What makes this butter so attractive is the use of edible flowers (it is called Floral Butter after all)
It is important to have the butter at room temperature enabling you to spread it. You can make this an hour in advance just store it in the fridge to keep it chilled, ensuring it doesn’t melt.
- Unsalted butter at room temperature
- Beetroot Maldon Salt (Or any flaked or flavoured salt)
- Dried Chilli Flakes
- Cracked dried Coriander Seeds
- Ground Pepper Corns
- Edible Flowers or Leaves (I used baby Nasturtium leaves and marigolds – feel free to use violas, borage, chamomile, pansy, arugula – to name a few)
- Spread the unsalted butter on a flat surface approximately 1 cm in thickness.
- Sprinkle the salt, coriander and chilli flakes on the buttery surface.
- Add your floral elements to the mixture.
- Provide a butter knife and allow guests to spread the flavoured butter on their fresh bread or crackers.
Other possible flavours that you can play around with to flavour your flower butter include – adding garlic flakes, capers, salted olives, lemon zest, mint and much more – let your imagination run wild!