Summer is nearly here and it is time to get my herb & vegetable garden going. I am very excited as we moved house in winter so I am starting from scratch which is allowing me to start with a blank canvas. There is something to be said growing herbs from seed. Coriander grows beautifully from seeds as it does not like being transplanted (even as a seedling). Here are two ways to grow seeds in eggshells and toilet roll inners.
GROWING SEEDS IN EGGSHELLS
Eggshells are a great source of calcium and protein. These little vessels are a great place to grow seeds in due to the fact that the shell will biodegrade and the calcium and protein in the shell will seep into the soil helping the plants grow. The shape and size of the eggshell is the perfect vessel to grow a seedling in.
1. Prep your eggshell. Wash the inside of the eggshell out to avoid the shell from smelling.
2. Fill your shells with some potting soil. I found keeping the eggshells upright was the easiest in the cardboard egg box.
3. Spray the soil with some water to ensure the soil is moist. Sprinkle 1-3 seeds per eggshell.
4. Spray a little water on the seeds.
5. Place these little eggshell seed incubators in a sunny spot (not direct sunlight) like a window sill. Keep an eye on the soil spraying it daily to keep it moist.
6. Soon you will begin to see the seeds sprout and the vibrant green sprout emerge. I love seeing how out of a tiny little seed a sprout 10x in size emerges.
7. Now it is time to move these incubators into the garden. There is no need to take the seedlings out of the eggshell – plant the entire seedling (eggshell and all) directly into the soil covering the eggshell with soil. Over time the eggshell will disappear but while that happens it will keep the little seedling protected. 8. In time your seedling will become a fully fledged herb.
GROWING SEEDS IN TOILET ROLL INNERS
Toilet roll is one of those essential items in the home. Through growing seeds in the inners of the toilet rolls, you are able to use the entire toilet roll. Upcycling is the way to go (in my opinion).
1. In order to use the toilet roll inner you need to seal off the bottom of the cardboard tube. You do this by…
- First folding over one side of the tube
- Then folding the opposite side to meet the folded side
- You will now have two pointy sides. Fold those pointed sides into the middle closing off the tube.
This does not completely close the tube, it allows for water drainage and air circulation.
2. Fill the closed tubes with soil. Water the soil until it is damp. (Remember that water will drain through the bottom when watering)
3. Add 2 seeds per tube and store the tubes in a sunny area, ensuring that the soil is always damp.
4. In time these seeds will burst with a sprout and start to grow rapidly.