Carrots are a staple in any kitchen. They are used for the base of many stews and stocks as well as eaten raw in salads or as a snack. This is a basic tutorial on how to grow carrots.
* Carrots need soil that has been cleared of rocks and weeds and any other debris. Should there be debris in the garden the carrots will grow into funny shapes.
* Carrots like sandy loamy soil. The high sand content allows them to grow easily.
* Partly Shady to sunny area
How to plant Carrots…
* Dig a little trench about 3cm deep.
* Sprinkle the seeds into the trench about 5cm apart.
* Sprinkle some soil to cover them.
* Water gently with a watering can or hose nosel – as you do not want to wash the seeds away
* Continue to water the seeds over the next week – if you should forget and the soil is very dry slowly start watering again – too much watering all at once will cause the carrots to split.
* You will soon start to see small green sprouts popping out of the ground. Be patient and allow the carrots to grow and mature. Remember you can’t replant the carrot once you have pulled them out. The way to test if they are ready to pull out is to dig a bit of the dirt out around the stem and see how big the diameter of the carrot is.
* Pulling out carrots is always a big surprise as you are never sure the shape or size that will come out the ground. Enjoy the surprise of mother nature’s little presents.