Sometimes the perfect recipe only needs a few simple ingredients to shine. These bright red sweet peppers make the perfect base for these Grilled Red Pepper Canapes. By chargrilling these peppers and peeling off the black skin you are left with soft, sweet and delectable red pepper flesh. Marinade this sweet flesh in olive oil, fresh garlic, anchovies, olives and fresh herbs. When cooking the red peppers in these complementary flavours the anchovies melt away leaving their strong salty flavour and adding a punch to this dish.
Don’t knock this until you try it! Trust me. The added bonus is it stores for two weeks due to the olive oil and salt – so make ahead of time and avoid the stress of thinking of something wonderful to eat when guests come around.
Red Pepper Mezze
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
4 Red Peppers
1/2 Cup of Olive Oil
250g Black Olives (depipped)
4 Cloves of Garlic – Crushed
Handful of thyme (leaves removed from stalks)
20 Anchovie fillets
10 Mint Leaves (Chopped)
Handful of Basil Leaves (chopped)
Freshly Ground Pepper
- Grill the peppers until the skins are black (this can be achieved by placing them under the grill in the oven or on the open flame on a gas hob) – Do Not be tempted to pull them out prematurely – the more charred skin the better.
- Immediately place the peppers in a plastic bag and close the bag. Leave for 10 minutes. (This allows the peppers to sweat making the skin easier to remove)
- Remove the peppers from the packet and gently peel the charred skin leaving you with the soft sweet flesh.
- Remove the seeds and cut the pepper into long strips
- In a small frying pan heat the oil gently with the garlic, anchovies, and olives.
- Add the peppers in and cook until the anchovies have disintegrated.
- Add the herbs and stir in
- Season with salt and pepper
- Store in a sterile jar in the fridge
If you chose to grill the peppers in the oven I would strongly advise putting them on a baking tray as they tend to lose water in the process.