Steamed Artichokes with Burnt Butter must be one the most simple dishes I make when I can find these gems of the vegetable world. When artichokes are in season these beauties are so tasty. My favourite way of eating them is with a burnt butter sauce and a little salt and lemon juice. The fleshy part of the leaves provide a great base to scoop up the nutty goodness of burnt butter.
Steamed Artichokes with Burnt Butter
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
1/2 Cup of Butter
- Cut the stems of the artichokes and place in an inch of water in a pyrex dish. Cover with cling wrap
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes
- While the artichokes are in the microwave, place the butter in a saucepan and let the butter melt.
- Once the butter has melted, allow the butter to brown. When the butter browns it will form a silty sediment on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the butter into a small ramekin and serve with your steamed artichoke
How to eat you artichoke
Peel the frons off the artichoke and dip the tender are into the butter and sprinkle with some salt and lemon juice. Keep doing this until you reach the centre. Spoon the spiky part out the middle (I find using the back of a spoon the best way to get the prickly parts out of the heart of the artichoke) and then eat the heart of the artichoke with butter and lemon and salt.